Sunday, October 19, 2008

Weakly Update...

I wrote "weakly" because I seem to be pretty "weak" about posting on my blog lately but with Ivan visiting New York over the next few weeks (more on that later), I will have a little more computer time on my hands.

To update: on Wednesday I took off a few hours early and voted. The state of Tennessee does few things right and one of them is early voting. I was so happy to get my vote in for Obama. Now I can just enjoy election evening by watching the madness. Well, I hope I enjoy it. I pray it's not a huge Clusterfuck like 2000.

As I write this, Ivan is on his way back to New York. Over the next few weeks he will be meeting with friends and family and packing. He's moving down here. Finally we will be one place, for better or worse. It just seems the right thing to do. The economy is tanking up there and I just don't have the money or resources to compete for a job up in New York right now.

Considering we have had seperations of months and we continue to fight kidney disease and anemia, for me to be verklempt over twelve days apart sounds a little silly I know. But I guess because of the things we are fighting for (health and each other) it's difficult to seperate.

I never thought I would be this connected with one person. I always figured that I would be that crazy old lady with a bunch of dogs watching CNN all day long and yelling at the television like someone can hear me. Then I met him and my world changed.

For the first time in my life I feel a part of a large family. His parents, siblings, and cousins have embraced me. It's been a wonderful experience. But I feel guilt knowing he will be down here with me while they are up there. I hope that sooner, rather than later, we will be able to save up money to be in a position to help them as much as they have helped us.

On a political note, if you are surprised by General Powell's endorsement of Barack Obama than you really understand little about politics. Just about everyone knows that Powell and the GOP have not seen eye to eye since Powell couldn't wait to leave Bush's Cabinet in 2004. But Powell makes a point that should not fall silent on anyone's ears...this is a time of transition and a country, any country, can not be run with the same closed minded and antagonistic political mindsent that has beset our nation the past 8 years.

Lets face it, the Clinton era was marked by insanity and a boom stock market that reached false hieghts. To make things worse, we had a president who managed his personal life in such a shoddy and shameful manner that even the so called left leaning press reported his dangerous liasons.

This decade, we have seen a president that has decided to push his morality not only on our nation but other nations. The direction Bush took our country, with our own approval in 2004, has been damning. Because banks and investors were left unregulated, and greed took over common sense, we are faced with an economic crises that unfortunately parallels that of the Great Depression.

If a great white general went on Meet the Press this morning and said he was supporting Obama, no one would accuse him of supporting Obama because he is black man running for president. But idiots being idiots, earlier today, Rush Limbaugh yapped away (like we asked for his opinion?) that Powell is supporting Obama because of race. Of course, those are the same yayhoos that think I should vote for McCain-Palin because she is a woman.

Our country, our world, is at a turning point. Lets face it, the Adam Smith model of running free markets does not work when greed overtakes common sense. And so, people, along with their governments, have got to find a way to make sure that when a crises happens, those who are working hard do not lose their retirement savings because a bunch of idiot investment bankers.

I know I sound very Pollyanna but I do believe we can make this world a better place if we get over the greed and really try to fix things. Maybe I hope for that so much because, well, I need it to happen. The one I love suffers from kidney failure and lives on dialysis. Wouldn't it be nice if we invested in medical research to find a cure for kidney disease instead of investing in pills for erectile dyfunction and in countries who really do not need our intervention?

No comments: